AutumnJones Review: "I Am...Sasha Fierce"

I Am...Sasha Fierce" is the latest release from the pro-claimed QUEEN B. However, does this recent release hold Mrs. Carter in her spot at #1? The double disc album for the most part is an enjoyable album. The only problem that it faces is the mere fact that editing was needed. Disc one is titled "I Am" is said to be the more vulnerable and romantic side while disc two "Sasha Fierce" is more sexual and aggressive. Which is a great description of where the two disc differ... However some of the tracks seem to just be fillers in order to make the album a double disc. According to Beyonce, this is an official introduction to her alter-ego Sasha, which is a little strange because most would agree, that we’ve known Sasha since Dangerously in Love. "Halo", "Disappear", "Smash into you", and "Broken-Hearted Girl" are all actually very great ballads that appear on disc one. Besides editing the only concern is that there's a lack of seem emotional attachment. Robotic in some ways. Tracks like; "Satellites", and "That's Why Your Beautiful" could have been replaced with something else. Or better yet nothing! Beyonce also attempts to do her own cover of "Ave Maria," it was a good attempt, but not memorable.
Disc two contained Beyonce's usual dance tracks. The only thing about the "Sasha Fierce" album is her re-attempt to cross over into a more "hip hop" audience. Somewhere the connection was lost yet again. Which could possibly be because Beyonce tends to over sing on the perfect song. Fans will love tracks like; "Radio", "Video Phone", "Hello", "Ego" and of course "Single ladies"."Diva" is a simple rap about Beyonce’s swagger, using comparisons between a DIVA which is an Attitude and a Hustler which is a way of life. “Scared Of Lonely" could have also missed the cut. At least for the flow of the album,.."Sweet Dreams" is a great song however!
"I Am...Sasha Fierce" could have been a much better album if Beyonce did a little editing. I was expecting to get a better feel for who Beyonce as an icon was but instead we’re learning more about Sasha Fierce. Who we all could careless about going to see when decades from now, if you get my drift. Sasha Fierce is not Iconic, she's more like pop star and we all know their names last longer than their careers. Over all the album is a very nice mixture of emotion, soft rock, pop, urban appeal and sass. However fans may feel a little bored. If Beyonce is looking to be known as an Icon, the first step is knowing when editing helps. She's now older and married, but don’t expect to find out more than you already know. “I Am..Sasha Fierce” is more of a reminder me of the first few Destiny's Child albums minus the male bashing. Queen B is far from Icon musically. There's no doubt that Vocally she's an Icon, just don’t count on actually being able to say it’s a great album! Just like her interviews, you’ll be left wondering...Is anyone one home??

Comments

Edirin said…
i feel you, some of the tracks on i am...were really boring, i actually skipped satellites, could'nt take it anymore. I prefer the i am...sasha fierce side of the cd. But why does it have to be extra with beyonce, what was wrong with just making one cd, its Sasha fierce, then there's a deluxe edition, what happen to the days when they just used to make one good album?
Anonymous said…
I agree with the previous person. What is going on with Beyonce?..i listened to the tracks on her myspace. I will not buy it.
Anonymous said…
Yea, I heard a few people say it wasn't that great. im like B im just a little tired of her. I watched her perform everywhere so fr and i hate that she has to swing her hair all over the place. I wish she'd just sing or perform. she has gotten so drag queen.
Miss K said…
I am going to play devil's advocate because I really believe Beyonce is talented and the girl can blow! Now whether she over sings or not--I have not quite made a clear cut judgement on that one! But it amazes me that I have heard so many people say, I wanna get to know Beyonce!! I don't quite get it, wouldn't we all like to know her---but unless you are her friend, business associate or family that won't happen!! Her music is her form of entertainment, she sings what feels!! I have heard the "I AM...SASHA FIERCE" CD and it's different! Very different, not a classic but it's good! Would I buy it? Yes I am going to buy it on "black friday"-7.99 at best buy! Why am I going to buy it? Because I am a loyal fan and there are not many female singers I can honestly say have the "it" factor!! As far as her being a "drag queen"---(smiles)---I don't see it!! I see a beautiful talented african american female who is in control of her career!! So alas...kudos to Ms. Beyonce, excuse me...Mrs. Beyonce Knowles!!

Disclaimer--Before anyone jumps down my throat, slanders my name--we all have a right to our opinion and I just expressed mine!! :)
AutumnJones said…
I don't care to know personaly, i just think that more of who she really is has not be presented. Its always as if she's holding back.

Thank you for your opinion..