AUTUMNJONES Wants you To MEET World Famous G-Mack

How did you get into Djing?
I had a friend of mine in college named Khaleel Harry who had some dj equipment and was djing at campus parties. I started playing around with the turntables, found out that I was interested in it and would use his equipment to practice.

Where did the name World Famous G-Mack come from?
G-MACK is a nickname I received back in the Bronx while I was still in high school. I added the World Famous part because that's what I aimed to be.

Who has influenced you as a Dj? How do you differentiate yourself from what you've learned from them?
I've been influenced by a number of djs including Greg Street, DJ Mars, DJ Trauma, DJ Tay Rok, Frank Ski, DJ Cassidy, DJ Irie, DJ Herb and DJ Infamous. I try to take the best qualities or the things that stand out about other djs and incorporate them in my own way.

You're a celebrity blogger for Global Grind.com, video correspondent for rolling Out Magazine Not to mention on and off tours with Artist and Djing parties. What keeps you ground and Hungry?
It's really not about me. I always remember that work is to be done as long as there is an artist, record, project, product or service that is not getting the attention it deserves.

What is it like to be apart of these HUGE names in the industry and still be able to stand alone from the power of your OWN name?
It's necessary. If you are only known due to affiliation, what happens when that affiliation isn't there any more? I think it's important to build the integrity of your own brand so that you will still be able to succeed as the times and variables change.

In 2007 Creative Loafing's college guide nominated you as "Most likely to be seen" but you seem so low key. Has the business of music changed your prospective of things? Or have you always just knew when and where to be?
My experiences have increased my knowledge, so I've changed in that way. You always see things differently when you're behind the curtain. I feel like I knew I always wanted to be in this industry, but I fought it because I was worried about the opinions of others who knew me previously and wouldn't expect me to do music. I'd worked in corporate America every summer since 9th grade, so logical decision would have been to continue and find myself a good job. I couldn't let everything I've learned go to waste so I started a marketing and entertainment consulting company - TEAM BTL.

Being a Dj you get first dibs on new music. Who are some up coming artist that have caught your ear? And are you feeling a lot of what you hear?
There are a lot of artist that up and coming and will get their shot as the industry continues its transition. Hollyweerd is one of those groups along with Verse Simmonds (Interscope/Darkchild) and the talented duo from the Virgin Islands Rock City. I recently accompanied DJ Trauma on a trip to South Africa for the Channel O Awards and had an opportunity to meet the hottest artists on the continent. I believe Africa is next to make a significant impact on the international music scene. They've got hot artists in every country that are hungry and willing to do whatever it takes in order to compete and they have fewer resources.

Do you have any tips for upcoming Dj's?
The people, not the industry, keep you hot.

You were born in Jamaica, raised in the Bronx and now you reside in Atlanta.
Does your background play a part in the type of events you like djing at? and what are you favorite type of events?
Definitely. I love reggae music, and growing up in the Bronx during the 90's was unlike any other time in music history. I like doing the sexy events. I play to the ladies, they really control the party and I like a crowd that is open to new music. As part of my set I'll throw in new records that have that bounce so it'll keep the party going but still expose the crowd to a fresh sound.

What can we expect from the World Famous G-Mack in the next coming years, months, etc? Mixtapes, Producing? You dang near run Atlanta, how does it feel to see all of your hard work and passion expand across the country?
You can expect more discipline and a focused/concentrated effort. Also, I'll continue to collaborate with dope artists and brands. My trip to Johannesburg has inspired me to look outside of our borders for new opportunities.

If you were not a DJ what would you do? Why?
I'd be playing music in my room, so I guess I'd still be djing lol.

Who are some of the artists that you have worked with?
I've done promotions for some artists including Rich Boy, Yung Joc, Verse, Rock City, London, Akon, One Chance and Gorilla Zoe. I've dj'ed at parties that have been hosted by Carl Thomas, Chrisette Michelle, John Legend, Lance Gross, Keri Hilson, Ryan Leslie, Ne-yo, Fabolous and Raheem DeVaughn, among others.

Do you ever wake up and want to pinch yourself? Like maybe i'm not really living my own life?I know for a fact, that the Ladies love The World Famous G Mack. Do you see yourself as a ladies man?
I'm grateful for every day. It's only been 4 years. I've met a lot of amazing people, heard a lot of great music and been to some awesome places and event. I look forward to that continuing. I'm the ladies dj, they are the life of the party. Who doesn't want to see beautiful women that are dressed to impress and enjoying themselves. I'm looking at incorporating more things into the party experience that will benefit the ladies that come out to see me.

What do you tell someone who is interested in doing what you do?
Find your own path.

Is there anything else you'd like to add?
Money isn't only form of payment. And it usually is the cheapest form of payment...I would also like to thank you for taking an interest in me and my career. These questions have helped my re-evaluate my mission.


MORE ON THE WorldFamous G-MACK

Comments

Keith said…
Thanks for posting that. I had not heard of him before this. Hope your week has gotten off to a great start. Cheers!

Popular posts from this blog

Gina Torres Joins Cast of Gossip Girl

Book: Women and Their Fathers: The Sexual and Romantic Impact of the First Man in Your Life by Victoria Secunda