AutumnJones Wants You To MEET: Leslie Pryor


How did you become a writer?
In 2010 I was asking and praying to God for him to show my calling in life. My co-worker suggested I read a book called “purpose driven life.” I enjoyed the book. But I still had more questions and I still didn’t know my purpose. So I continued to pray. Well Oct 2011 I was laid off from my job. I said ok, God I know you don’t close one door without opening another one. So he simply said “write.” I said write what!? I’m not a writer. He said a stage play. I had no formal training, no classes. I hadn’t even been in a play. But I tell you this. He gave me every tool and resource I needed to write and the rest is history. 

What are some of the challenges that come with being the writer, the producer, the director, the promoter of your shows and company Leslie Pryor Productions LLC?
Wow.. And Marketer/ PR and the list goes on. So yes the main challenge is wearing every hat at the right place and time. Being the writer is different from the director and being the producer is a beast in itself. However I actually enjoy being all of the above. I just have to learn a better balance. God is so good. I have a full production team that takes some of the burden. But it’s still my baby lol.

Could you talk a little about how important the role your spirituality plays in your work?

Oh my Goodness!. Without it I feel like I’m nothing. Before I write anything I pray. Before every rehearsal, meeting we pray. God gave me the gift the least I can do is thank him. I know 100% it’s a calling on my life to use this gift not only as entertainment but as a ministry.

Where do you find inspiration for you topics and who are some writer who inspire you?

Writers who inspire me are Tyler Perry and David Talbert. Inspiration again comes from God. He said write for the community and the unspoken voices. My first production was to raise awareness to HIV/AIDS. A subject I have noticed doesn’t get a lot of conversation in the African American community. Although black Women are currently the highest rate of infection. 


What do you do when you have writer's block?

I pray and I have to go somewhere and focus. I have to really focus. I don’t really get writers block with what to say. I get it with what direction I want the story to go.

What do you think are the main obstacles you face to getting wider recognition?
PR and people not knowing who you are and what you are doing. As well as sponsorship and funding.

Have you taken any courses and do you think its necessary for someone who's interested in being a playwright?
I  have never taken a course. But I have read books, magazines. I also have went to conferences and I have mentors. I don’t take it lightly that I was gifted to write and given the passion and purpose behind it.

What's your advice for someone who wants to write plays, but doesn't know how to start?
I think it’s very hard in this industry if writing plays or movies is not your calling. However I’m sure it can be done. I have three important things I wish someone would have told me.
  1. Team (Team work makes the dream work)
  2. Find a Mentor but it has to be the right one.
  3. Write something everyday. Or every week.
  4. Also Research Stage play writing techniques. 
Quote "If I told you what to write, you would be writing what I would write.  Authentic Originality comes from within." - Leslie Pryor.

What shows has LPP produced?
“Twist and Turns of Faith” - HIV/AIDS awareness
“My War Wounds” - Juvenile Brain tumors and Breast Cancer awareness
“Dangerously In Love” - Mental illness awareness

What is up next for Leslie Pryor Productions LLC?
Dangerously In Love” August 11, 2018. "Dangerously In Love" Critics are calling it Captivating! Keath Armstrong (Everett Ezell) a successful NFL receiver and Ja'Mya White (Marquita Pryor-Howerton) have known each other just a year. However they have fallen deeply in love. They decide to have their dream wedding in the Dominican Republic and invite their closest family and friends. The seemly prefect occasion turns into a surprise roller coaster ride of their lives when things are revealed! Will it destroy this seemingly perfect union?

Leslie Pryor and Leslie Pryor Productions LLC has sold out shows in Louisville and shows in Lexington, KY.



Quote "You can’t teach a writer what to write, but you can teach a writer how to write it." - Leslie Pryor
Production's cast

For More Information on Leslie Pryor and Leslie Pryor Productions LLC
Snapchat: Add me on Snapchat! Username: lesliepprod

Comments