AUTUMNJONES WANTS YOU TO MEET: Andrea Walker-Williamson

How did you start writing?
My earliest memory was a 6th grade cumulative writing assignment. We were assigned to write in a Journal.  Some were poems, writing prompts,  sonnets and stories. At the end of the semester we turned in our journals. I was asked to read a few things to the class and some of the poetry was used as an example for other students. That was my first time realizing that my words could touch other people and could be interpreted differently. It was then that I decided that I was going to be an author.

Do you remember the first thing you ever wrote?
One of the 1st things that I wrote was a short story told in first person from Count Drakula. That story inspired my teacher in elementary school. My earliest high school memory was freshman year my English teacher pulled me out of class to ask about a fictional story that I wrote about a young lady getting an abortion after losing her virginity to someone on the football team. My teacher thought that the story seemed so real that it was my cry for help. That story was what got me enrolled into honors English and inspired me to write for the paper.

What was the inspiration to write children’s books?
My children were my inspiration to start writing children's books. I was always interested in children's programming but starting a company and really putting in the work--that strength came from the eyes and hearts of the babies I was blessed to have.

What is your favorite childhood book?
My favorite childhood book was called, black girl lost by Donald Goines. There book was so raw, honest and it allowed me to see the words come to life. That's the first book that took me through so many emotions in a short time just by reading. It was powerful.

 Where do you get your ideas?
I get ideas every day by embracing nature, music, new experiences and mostly by people watching.

What is your writing process like?
My writing process is simple. I write almost every minute of the day. I keep a Journal in my car, in the bathroom and under my pillow. I get ideas at the most random time so I try to capture all of them.

What are some common traps you have experienced that you would share with aspiring writers?
Some of the traps that I have experienced starting out have a lot to do with working with other creators. Teaming up with other creatives is excellent and exciting but be aware of people who fear you advancing g beyond them. Sometimes the person that you team up with could try and sabotage you. I would also suggest that Indie writers be mindful of small printing places that outsource their services. They usually charge more for their services and require a larger deposit rather than larger printing companies. I would also tell new writers to continue to be creative. Try not to allow the competition to force your writing to change.

Do you want each book to stand on its own, or are you trying to build a body of work with connections between each book?
I want each product to stand on its own.

What does literary success look like to you?
All of my work is person to me but I don't want to stay in any one genre. My goal is to participate in different markets.

What has been the best ways to market your books?
Social media and word of mouth seem to be the best ways that I have found to market my books. The church has been a strong force in getting the word out for me.

How many hours a day do you write?
I write all day. I just don't share everything that I write. I choose what I share with the world. Some things are still sacred.

I know you lost your husband a few years ago to an accident. I know you wrote your second book with him in mind. How has that experience affected your writing?
Literary success is something that I don't feel I have reached yet. My goals change and so does my ideas for what success looks like. Winning a readers choice award is a major goal for me. I suppose that would be success.  Writing the book,  "Moments in time:Poetry of grief and healing" has had a major effect on my writing because it allowed me to share some of the most vulnerable parts of my life with the world. Being so open is something I wasn't use to before losing my boo. I didn't believe that I was strong until I went through that grief process.

How instrumental was he in you stepping out on faith and deciding to publish your work?
He was very instrumental because he would always say, how can you be a writer and not be writing anything? It was serious for him. I had to step out and accomplish what I set out to do. He brought me a iMac computer,  programs and a scanner. He told me that my job was to complete the books that were in my head and in those journals. I was left with no excuse.

What was the process creating Create Noise? What made you say, “I need to do this!”
My friend Katrelle and I were talking about starting a non profit organization for students and we weren't able to make it happen but when I completed my 1st book I had already designed a full business plan and had so many ideas for books, production, clothing and entertainment under Create Noise. I prayed about it and I decided that the book publishing and entertainment production had to be born under Create Noise. I was so obsessed with getting a logo and designing this concept. It felt right.

How is it balancing family, finding time to write and running a business?
I personally think that the balance is still a large part of my struggle with running and business,  building and raising three children but the kids are really smart and they are active so I'm learning to designate positions for them when it comes to the house as well as the business.

What advice do you have for writers?
My advice to other writers: if you love what you do, it will show. If you have a hate what you do, that will also show. Be sure to only write what you love to write.
For more of Andrea Walker-Williamson
Amazon
Instagram

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gina Torres Joins Cast of Gossip Girl